With Nordic Sustainable Business Transformation, Nordic Innovation aims to take circular economy from strategy to business. We support new ecosystems, piloting of new circular economy solutions, and work to increase competence and improve circularity in cities and regions through Nordic projects.
Through the program, Nordic Innovation wishes to contribute to the transition to a circular economy through entrepreneurship, innovation and competitiveness in Nordic businesses thus enabling sustainable growth in the Nordic region.
Nordic Innovation aims to kickstart the circular transition in the Nordics by bringing Nordic companies, public authorities, industries, NGOs and other stakeholders together. We support and fund projects that have the potential to generate high-impact, clear and scalable results and substantial Nordic added value (read more about how we support Nordic projects).
Sustainable growth, increased entrepreneurship, innovation and competitiveness for Nordic businesses are key in the transition to a circular economy.
- Support Nordic businesses in implementing circular business models: skills, tools & competence to lead the transition.
- Enhance awareness about circular business models.
- Build Nordic ecosystems and value chains, that make it easier for companies to implement their circular strategy and establish new partnerships.
- Facilitate the development of new Nordic solutions that can enable the transformation towards a circular economy.
- Bring Nordic companies, public authorities, industries, NGOs and other stakeholders together to identify and create synergies.
- Brand Nordic circular solutions and the Nordics as an innovative circular region to the rest of the world.
- Support Nordic cities and regions as frontrunners in shaping and implementing circularity.
The program is built around four action areas, which will continuously be developed as the program is progressing.
- Competence - driving change through competence and new business models.
- New Solutions - accelerating business through innovation.
- Circular Cities - public private collaboration.
- Ecosystems - building networks and connecting competences and people.
The program work began early 2018, when the team met with national stakeholders and companies in the five Nordic countries regarding the program content. The focus areas are based on Nordic strongholds, such as highly educated and digital population, adaptability and bio-based resources, as well as the needs for change that followed the Agenda 2030, Paris agreement and the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
The program is based on the Nordic Co-operation Programme for Business and Innovation Policy 2018−2021. It is one of Nordic Innovation’s three thematic priorities for the period 2018−21. A total of NOK 60 million has been allocated to the program.
The program directly supports the Nordic Prime Ministers’ vision of making the Nordic region the most sustainable, integrated region in the world by 2030. We promote a green transition in our societies and work towards carbon neutrality and a competitive sustainable circular and bio-based economy.
Funded projects can be found below the timeline.