Nordic Innovation is thrilled to announce the creation of an industry sandbox on ethical and responsible AI, run in collaboration with Accenture and Silo AI. The Nordic Ethical AI Sandbox is a pilot initiative aimed at supporting Nordic companies in building capabilities to design, develop and deploy ethical and responsible AI solutions.
The sandbox is made up of a series of virtual workshops and seminars. Nordic companies are invited to register their interest for the workshops, whereas the seminars will be open for the entire Nordic AI ecosystem. The insights generated in the workshops and seminars will contribute to the guidelines and recommendations that will serve as a tool for Nordic companies in building responsible AI capabilities.
We are now seeking applications from companies who would like to work with us to explore how to operationalize ethical and responsible AI practices in a first workshop on 22. November, 13-16 CET.
About the Nordic Ethical AI Sandbox
Accelerating industry pressure to adopt AI, increasing ethical concerns from stakeholders and attention from policymakers is raising the priority among companies of ensuring responsible practices when using AI. Simultaneously, many are struggling with operationalizing responsible AI frameworks.
The aim of the Nordic Ethical AI Sandbox is to help building knowledge and capability for Nordic companies on how to address some of the common challenges when it comes to responsible AI. At the end of the series of sandbox workshops and seminars, a Nordic Ethical AI Playbook will be published, which will include insights generated from all of the sessions.
This initiative presents an opportunity for companies to work directly with responsible AI experts and other members from the Nordic AI ecosystem to both inform the development of guidelines and recommendations, and to strengthen their own approach to responsible AI.
Workshop 1: Establishing an Organizational Ethical and Responsible AI Capability
When: 22. November, 13-16 CET
Target group: We are looking for 5-10 Nordic companies of different sizes to join the workshop.
- The primary target group is Nordic companies that are using, or plan to use AI in their products, services or operations; and have a) just started formulating a strategic vision and plan for ethical and responsible AI, or b) have begun operationalizing responsible AI through governance, standardized processes, technology solutions, training or other.
- The secondary target group is companies that offer services or solutions that enable ethical and responsible AI; AI technology providers, ethical and responsible AI researchers or other ecosystem actors.
Each organization is recommended to bring 1-2 representatives to the workshop.
Format & Agenda: This is an interactive workshop, facilitated by industry experts on ethical and responsible AI. Participating companies are expected to contribute with their knowledge and experience of using and adopting responsible AI, and will both receive expert advice from industry leaders and collaborate with other members from the AI ecosystem on how to solve the challenges in scope.
Examples of topics to be covered in the workshop 22. November:
- How to integrate ethical and responsible AI in your governance and organizational structure: centralized, federated or hybrid
- How to create a risk triage function: assessing level of risk for AI solutions
- Organizational roles and their respective responsibilities in an ethical and responsible AI approach
Expected Output: The workshop will be a closed session and for the participating companies only, but the insights and learnings generated will be summarized in a public case study and contribute to a Nordic Ethical AI Playbook. Each workshop is followed by a virtual seminar, open for the entire Nordic AI ecosystem to participate in.
How to apply?
To apply for the first workshop, please fill out the form below. You complete one application per organization only. You will receive feedback on your application shortly after deadline.
Deadline for application: 31. October.
If we have received more than one application from your organization and you get accepted, we will communicate back to everyone asking you to select 1-2 representatives who join the workshop.
To be continued in 2024
During 2024 the workshop and seminar series continues. More information about the agenda and registration for the following three workshops will be published few weeks before each session, but the indicative plan is outlined below:
- Week 6 2024: Generative AI risks and mitigation strategies
- Week 11 2024: Transparency, explainability and fairness
- Week 16 2024: Privacy and security of data
Based on the registered interest, a selection of organizations will be invited to participate in the workshop. Participating organizations should meet the below selection criteria. The guiding principle is that the participants should be a balanced group, but with emphasis on Nordic businesses using AI in their products and or services.
Primary target group (AI Adopters)
- The organization has adopted or plans to adopt AI in their products and services
- The organization has dedicated team(s) for AI
- The organization is registered in one of the Nordic countries
- The organization’s use of AI can have an ethical impact on people and/or society due to factors such as size, types of products/services, or the industry it operates in
- The organization has either:
- just started formulating an approach and plan to operationalize ethical and responsible AI, or
- have begun operationalizing responsible AI through governance, standardized processes, technology solutions, training or other
Secondary target group (Solution provider)
- The organization is registered in one of the Nordic countries
- The organization should have a recognized ethical AI and responsible AI solution and demonstrated industry experience
Secondary target group (AI technology provider, researchers, other)
- The organization / person has a connection to the Nordics
- The organization / person has solutions/expertise/experience that will bring value into the discussion about how to build an organizational capability for ethical and responsible AI
- The organization / person has demonstrated experience of contributing to industry adoption of ethical and responsible AI (i.e. strong industry connection)