Currently the volume of recovered metals used in battery manufacturing is low. The Nordic countries have recognized recycling as a critical part of the battery value chain with an abundance of initiatives for ramping up and enhancing the recyclability of batteries and battery materials as well as the possibility of re-usage.
Nordic Innovation is supporting the organization of a webinar series called "Nordic Battery Thursdays" during 2022 on the opportunities within the battery business.
Nordic Battery Thursdays consist of fours webinars in May, June, September and November. The webinars will look into topics such as recycling, critical minerals and mining, big data and traceability and battery strategies.
Nordic Battery Thursdays is a part of the Sustainable Minerals program which is one of eight initiatives launched by the five Nordic ministers of trade and industry. The initiatives represent a determined advance towards a stronger and more sustainable Nordic region and support the vision for the Nordic region to be the most sustainable and integrated region in the world by 2030 by focusing on:
- Raw materials critical for enabling a green Nordic region
- Increased circularity and recovery of mineral resources
- Life cycle and traceability
- Strengthened Nordic mineral ecosystem and value chains to drive the transition
- Social responsibility and strategic community involvement of the minerals sector
- In long term, new Nordic solutions, technologies, systems and best practices at local and international markets