The overall objective for the Sustainable Minerals Program is to position the Nordics as the frontrunners within global sustainable mineral production.
In order to reach this objective, Nordic Innovation is entering a new phase of the Sustainable Minerals program. Focus in this part of the program will be to establish an annual conference to bring together Nordic actors in the metals and mining sector.
The keywords of this project are: Knowledge, Network and News!
The annual conference will consist of sessions and an exhibition/expo area with a focus on "experiencing" what is discussed on stage through products, minerals and innovations.
The draft conference plan is:
- The first conference will take place in spring 2024
- The second conference will take place in autumn 2024
- The third conference will take place in spring 2025
Besides from the annual conference, a series of seminars will be created at Nordic universities between the conferences to keep the discussions and topics alive.
On top, the content of the conferences and seminar series will be edited into a podcast, with regular publication of episodes from winter 2024 to winter 2025.
The project will be led by Swemin - the Swedish Association of Mines, Mineral and Metal Producers in collaboration with Norwegian Mineral Industry and Finnish Mining Association.
The Nordic Forum on Raw Materials project is funded under the Sustainable Minerals program which is one of the eight initiatives launched by the five Nordic ministers of trade and industry. The initiatives represent a determined advance towards a stronger and more sustainable Nordic region and support the vision for the Nordic region to be the most sustainable and integrated region in the world by 2030 by focusing on:
- Raw materials critical for enabling a green Nordic region.
- Increased circularity and recovery of mineral resources.
- Life cycle and traceability.
- Strengthened Nordic mineral ecosystem and value chains to drive the transition.
- Social responsibility and strategic community involvement of the minerals sector.
- In long term, new Nordic solutions, technologies, systems and best practices at local and international markets.